You are here: Home > How It Works
Available Shows
How It Works  
Here is some important information you'll need to put on your performance.

Your Show Checklist

Before you start building scenery, making costumes and hiring the hall, please make sure you have everything that you need to put on your show. You will need the following from us and our partners:

  • A valid performance licence

    You can apply for a show licence on this site. We will ask you for certain information about your production and base our quote on that. If your application has been accepted (for various reasons not all are) you will receive confirmation that you can proceed.

  • The music for your show

    The licence price we quote does not include the cost of hiring the music. Once your application has been accepted we will put you in contact with the appropriate hire library to obtain the music. For some shows you can see and download information about hire fees in the Music and Resources section of this site.
    The only show where you do not need to hire the music is Joseph. If you wish, you can perform this show using a piano vocal only, which can be bought here. For the band parts, however, you will need to go through our hire library.
    Their contact details are:


    Music Sales Ltd.

    Hire Library

    Unit F3, Dettingen Way

    Blenheim Industrial Estate

    Bury St. Edmunds

    Suffolk, IP33 3TU

    phone:- UK (0)1284 705 705

  • An official logo

    If you are performing one of our shows we insist that you use the official show logo. For legal reasons there is a charge for this, which will be added to your quotation and invoice. The official show logo will be made available to you via the Music and Resources section of the website once your advance payment has cleared.

Frequently Asked Questions

We have tried to give answers to some common questions we get asked below:

Why do I need a licence to perform a show?

All performances of stage musicals that are protected by copyright need to be approved and licensed by the holder of the copyright. All of our shows are copyright works and therefore any proposed production requires our prior approval and licence.

It is therefore extremely important that you do not make any plans or preparations for a production until you have checked with the Music Licensing Department or one of our agents and have secured a performance licence!

How much does it cost?

The prices we charge vary, depending on the type and scale of your proposed production. Typically though, they fall into two camps. For smaller scale schools or junior productions we charge a flat fee per performance. For larger productions we charge a percentage of the gross box-office receipts. This is the total amount of money you take in ticket sales. The percentage we charge varies slightly from show to show and country to country.

How do you know how much to charge me?

We’ll determine the price we charge during the application process.

When you fill in the licence application form on this website, we’ll ask you some simple questions about whether you will charge ticket admission and, if so, how many tickets you expect to sell per performance. Our system will then calculate how much the licence should be and send it to one of our team for review. Once it has been approved, you will be notified by email. In some cases licenses will be granted automatically and in others a licence may be declined.

Typically, we will either charge you a flat fee per performance (this is usually for schools or where tickets are free) or we’ll charge you a royalty based on your total box office receipts.

Upon completion of your production, we will provide you a with a pro-forma royalty statement for the calculation of the performance royalty payment.

Here is an example of how the eventual royalty payment is calculated:

Performance Gross box office
Performance 1


Performance 2


Performance 3


Performance 4


Totals Box Office


Royalty @ 15%
Less deposit





£  2,010.47

Grand total you pay


Why would you decline a licence request?

There are a handful of reasons why a request may be declined, but not many. Please check this site before you apply to make sure the work is available to your specific group type and country of residence.

Some shows (e.g. THE WOMAN IN WHITE) have yet to be developed for licensed productions.

The licensing rights to some shows are withheld because the show in question is the subject of a planned or ongoing professional production.

Occasionally, we do get clashes where two amateur societies, for example, wish to perform the same show reasonably near one another. Because we want everyone to have the best possible chance of getting the biggest audience they can, we may decline an application out of respect for the first company to register.

Some shows (e.g. ASPECTS OF LOVE, EVITA) are not available to very junior groups as the subject matter and vocal and physical performance demands of the show in question would be unsuitable.

How can I hire music materials?

Depending on the size and scale of your show you are likely to need to hire performance materials for your cast and music materials for your musicians. Some shows require extra keyboard sounds and instructions. In the resources section of this site you will find information and downloads we think you’ll find useful.

Are all of your shows available to perform?

No, they aren’t. As mentioned above, while it is our intention to develop all of our shows for performance some are not yet ready and others are withdrawn for commercial reasons.

Are there any restrictions associated with performing one of your shows?

In some cases yes. Schools and colleges, for example, are frequently licensed on the understanding that where possible their production will be held on the school / college premises.  Also, school and college productions are only to be advertised to parents and the school / college community.

We also license on condition that our shows are performed as published and we do not allow elements such as music, lyrics, dialogue, storyline or casting to be changed. Our licence document includes full details of what may or may not be permitted.

Can we film our production?

We are prepared to consider requests from groups in the UK and Eire to film their productions of JOSEPH and THE LIKES OF US. If you wish to apply for such rights, the licence holder for the group should contact us for further details.

We cannot consider film requests in respect of our other works at this point in time.

© Copyright The Really Useful Group Ltd. 2017 | Privacy Policy and Cookies | Terms and Conditions | Returns Policy | About us | Contact us
RUG on Facebook RUG on Twitter RUG on YouTube